Have ADD or ADHD?

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Memoirs of an ADHD Mom


What sets you off?


I've found that certain things distract me and make my ADHD worse. The first is being hungry. It's kind of a weird cycle -- I put off everything including eating. Then when when I'm absolutely starving, I'll stop to eat, but by then, I'm ravenous (watch out for your fingers as I'll stop at nothing). If a plate of cookies is near by, we'll consider them gone. Think ahead about a stomach ache? Nope. Diet? Nope. My weight? Nope. If the cookies aren't enough, then I dive through the pantry or fridge to find something that will satisfy me (whole bag of chips). Then the guilt sets in once I've binged. I get so distracted by being super hungry that nothing else matters. It's a bad cycle, and it's hard to break. 

The other thing that sets off my distraction is sleep. It's part of another weird, bad cycle that I've never broken. I try to sleep at night, but my mind just won't stop working. So, even if I'm in bed, I can't go right to sleep. Then I'm up during the night. Then I'm tired the next day and can't focus on anything. Then it starts all over again the next night. I often wish I had a switch, like a light switch, where I could just turn off my brain, sleep, and get up refreshed. Haven't gotten up refreshed in a long time. 
I know many of you have things that set you off. Please share them. If you have solutions for me, pass them on!

No comments:

Post a Comment