Have ADD or ADHD?

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Discipline Can’t Cure ADHD or Autism

Posted by   ADHD in Kids and TeensBeing a Parent with ADHDUncategorized


How often have you heard this? “You gotta show that kid who’s in charge!”  “The problem with that kid is he has no respect!”
Ugh! It makes me want to scream. Instead, I remind myself that these people don’t have much education about the developmental delays that account for the lagging skills in kids with ADHD or ASD. You don’t “get” ADHD or Autism from not being “raised right.” These are very real, highly heritable neurological conditions. Teaching our children can help, helping them learn with logical consequences can help, and problem-solving collaboratively can help. But smacking them or “showing them who’s BOSS?” Not so much.

Discipline Can’t Cure ADHD or Autism

This is what I want to say to those people:
Do you think tighter control or a little more discipline would “teach that kid a lesson?” Think again. Punishments don’t teach lagging developmental skills, and your judgements are an insult to the parents who are doing their best on a daily basis.
What’s the most ignorant “advice” you’ve heard?  Tell us in the comments!

About Carolyn


I'm Carolyn Mallon, RN, and I have ADHD. I'm also parenting at least one ADHD child, so it makes for quite an adventure! I don't have all the answers, but I certainly share the challenges of many ADHD parents! I started this blog as an exercise to help us improve our game at home and at school. Join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment