Have ADD or ADHD?

Saturday, September 3, 2016

5 of the Funniest Real-life Stories with ADD ADHD, ever!

on: July 2, 2015, by: Bryan Hutchinson



As everyone surely knows by now, I am celebrating the launch of my new book “10 Things I Hate about ADHD (Plus 10 More),” which is a book intended to be funny. And likewise, as someone with ADHD, I just can’t shut-up about it (or maybe that’s just me).
So, to help me celebrate I asked my fellow ADD ADHD bloggers to help me, and they did that by providing their funniest personal stories concerning ADHD.
Get ready to laugh, cry and probably recognize yourself  in a few of the following stories. Be sure to visit these bloggers websites, they are all great people and writers sharing their stories and helping others live better lives while coping with ADD ADHD.
Without further ado, here are the first 5 stories:

The funniest thing that has ever happened to me wasn’t funny at the time.

By Brenda Nicholson of AnADDWoman.com
I always hosted the family Christmas dinner every year. There were 10 of us sharing the holiday. At the time, I was struggling with trying to raise 3 kids with ADHD (keep in mind my husband and I have it as well), work a full time job and maintain a house.
At midnight on Christmas Eve as we were leaving my sister-in-law’s house, she asked what time dinner would be the next day. I told her I would let her know…..and that was when I realized that I hadn’t been to the grocery store in weeks. We had nothing in our fridge – no butter, milk, eggs – much less Christmas dinner. I got up early Christmas morning in an attempt to buy Christmas dinner but the only thing open was CVS.
I had to call my sister-in-law and ask her to bring leftovers.

I thank ADHD for most of my life’s adventures.

By Andrea Nordstrom of TheArtofADD.com
As difficult as it has been at times, ADHD has made life pretty fun – even when only in retrospect.
My most recent funny ADD-moment happened only a month ago. Life had been extra-hectic and my kids weren’t getting enough undivided attention.
I suggested to my hubby that we each take a kid and spend a full day/night with them – no cell phones or distractions of any kind – just hanging out and doing whatever each kid wanted. The opportunity was ripe, as they had a day off school coming up, in thanks to their teachers’ Professional Development Day.
My daughter suggested we stay at a hotel. We went watersliding, had a nice meal (if pizza with Skittles on top could be considered nice?), and stayed up until 2 a.m watching Spongebob reruns. I awoke the next morning with the glowing certainty I was the best mom in the whole world. I congratulated myself for keeping my ADD in check, successfully staying focused on nothing but this experience she and I were sharing.
Then… the school called, wondering where my kids were. I had scheduled their day off in my calendar – but on the wrong Monday! I was more than a little embarrassed the next day, when my daughter told her teacher she’d missed school because we stayed up until 2 a.m., eating pizza with skittles and watching cartoons!

Funniest thing that every happened because of ADHD

By Melissa Orlov of ADHDMarriage.com
We were having family dinner one night when my daughter (who has ADHD) was about 6.  She was bouncing around in her chair, happy as usual, when suddenly – she was gone!
She had bounced so much she had missed the chair and landed on the floor!  There was a brief silence and then everyone in the room cracked up, including her!  It was truly an ADHD moment!

Severe dyslexia and checking the wrong box!

By Jacqueline Sinfield of UntappedBrilliance.com
I don’t have ADHD, but I do have severe dyslexia which wasn’t diagnosed until I was 28 years old. I find that being dyslexic means I relate to people with ADHD in a unique way. While dyslexia and ADHD are different conditions they both leave us feeling we are very different from other people. We are right brain dominant which make living in a very left brain world   a constant challenge.
One busy Easter weekend I was at the Montreal Airport with my new boyfriend. We were flying to England and I was excited to introduce him to my family for the first time. The airport had those self check-in machines and I started answering the questions. Things like “do you have a bomb in your suitcase? and weapons? what about a very sharp knife?’ Somehow, rather than ticking the box that said ‘no I don’t’ I ticked the ‘yes I do’ boxes.
When I got to the end of the questions 2 men in black uniforms appeared.  I was scared, my heart was beating super fast. When we realized it had been an innocent accident they got me to answer the questions again. Which I did, this time with 2 pairs of eyes watching me. My boyfriend,  thought the whole thing was very funny. Which is good because these sorts of things are part of my daily life, and when he laughs I do too. We are engaged to be married now 🙂

The donuts adventure thanks to ADHD

By Douglas Cootey of DouglasCootey.com
Many years ago, my daughters and I had rushed off to buy a dozen donuts from our favorite donut shop. As we were piling back into the minivan to return home, I placed the donut box on top of the van while I seatbelted my littlest one into her car seat. I had placed things there before and not forgotten them, but this was not one of those times.
I pulled out onto the road and drove about a mile with cars beeping at me as they passed, when I heard something slide across the roof, and then I saw a flash of movement in the rearview mirror. Oh no! It was the donuts!
We pulled over and watched in horror as several cars drove over our precious cargo, but miraculously, the box had landed smack dab in the middle of the lane. All the cars passed right over it. The box had landed upside down, so my favorite Boston Cremes had lost their chocolate covering, but it was a small price to pay for their survival.
From then on, my children scolded me everytime I absentmindedly put an object on top of the minivan. They never let me forget what I did to their donuts, but they also still remember how good those donuts tasted—all the sweeter because of the adventure thanks to ADHD.
~—–~
I hope you enjoyed these stories! Share ’em if you liked ’em!
Would you like to share your funniest ADD ADHD story? Share this post on Facebook with your story as the caption. Be sure to tag me in it so I can read it, too!
🙂

No comments:

Post a Comment